Friday, January 25, 2013

January 26 in Country Music History

In 1942, Dave Rowland, of Dave and Sugar, was born in Los Angeles, California.  He has charted twenty times, with three of those being Number Ones.

In 1945, Al Dexter was Number One with "I'm Losin' My Mind Over You".  It would hold the top spot for seven weeks, though it would trade with a Tex Ritter hit, and a Jimmie Davis hit several times.

In 1946, Eddy Arnold had two hits that were trading spots on the charts as Number One.  "I'll Hold You In My Heart(Till I Can Hold You In My Arms)" and "Anytime" held the top spot for a combined thirty weeks, and the next Number Ones would be "Bouquet of Roses", "Texarkana Baby", and "Just A Little Lovin'(Will Go A Long, Long Way)", all by Arnold also.  Starting iin late 1945, and ending on the last day of 1946, Eddy Arnold owned the Billboard charts for 62 weeks, with only Jimmie Wakely making a visit to that position with "One Has My Name(The Other Has My Heart)".    

In 1980, T.G.Shepard was atop the charts with "I'll Be Coming Back For More".  It stayed at the top of the charts for two weeks and was his fourth Number One, out of fourteen he acquired in his career.

In 1985, Alabama was at Number One with "(There's A)Fire In the Night".

In 1991, Alabama was again at Number One with "Forever's As Far As I'll Go".

In 2011, Country Music lost one of its pioneers, Charlie Louvin. He and his brother, Ira, were among the best duos of all time, if not THE best, and have left a legacy of music that is almost unequaled in quality.  Charlie, as a solo artist, also was a great, with great songs like "See The Big Man Cry", and "I Don't Love You Anymore".

In 2013, Blake Shelton was feeling the heat from those who REALLY love traditional and classic country music, for opening his mouth and inserting both feet, calling the fans of this type music "Old farts and jackassses".  I do remember one of his 'hits', but I don't know the words, and now I never will.  Blake Shelton should read the entry for 1946, above.