Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 25 in Country Music History

In 1923, Rusty Draper, country AND pop singer, songwriter, and guitarist, who was also known as "Ol' Redhead, was born in Kirksville, Missouri. He made it to the country charts six times, with "Gambler's Guitar" being his biggest country hit. He made several very big pop hits.
In 1924, legendary pedal steel guitarist Speedy West was born in Springfield, Missouri.
In 1963, disc jockey Cactus Jack Call passed away as a result of an automobile collision. It was his death that led to the benefit at which Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas, and Randy Hughes had all performed when they were killed in a plane crash near Camden, Tennessee. Jack Anglin was killed in another crash en route to services for one of those killed in the plane crash.
A related story about "I Dreamed of a Hillbilly Heaven":
I Dreamed Of A Hillbilly Heaven
by Hal Southern and Eddie Dean
"It was actually about a dream. When I woke up the next morning, I practically had the complete song written, because it was as if somebody had laid it out for me, and all I had to do was copy it down. The song is exactly like the dream. Cowboy Copas is the only one who has passed away since recording the song. There was a very popular DJ on the West Coast by the name of Squeakin' Deacon Moore, and he always talked about Bell Gardens, California, being 'Hillbilly Heaven' because there were so many country music lovers in that town, and I think that hearing him talk about it so much made me subconsciously dream about a song with that idea in mind. So I had the dream, wrote the song, Eddie Dean recorded it and it has had a profound effect on my life that I never dreamed possible when I had the dream. — Hal Southern
I Dreamed Of A Hillbilly Heaven
I dreamed I was there in Hillbilly Heaven
Stars' Hall Of Fame I had found
I heard all the stars in Hillbilly Heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sound.
Recitation:
Last night I dreamed I went to Hillbilly Heaven and
Just as I arrived, the gold curtains lifted, the stars
Were on the stage and there was Mr. Country Music himself
Mr. Hank Williams, presenting for the very first time on
The Big Show in the sky, America's Original Soul Singer,
Mr. Red Foley.
After the applause had faded away, Hank stepped to the Mike and said, "Thank you, Red Foley, for a tremendous performance. And now, let's welcome some friends who just flew into today for this command showing. Four wonderful friends of mine, Cowboy Copas, Johnny Horton, Gentleman Jim Reeves, and the new queen of Hillbilly Heaven, Miss Patsy Cline."
Well, after the show I got some autographs and I talked to Patsy a while, and she asked me, "Hal, are you staying over for the next show?" Well, I just had to ask her, "Patsy, who are the next stars booked here in Hillbilly Heaven?" She hesitated for a moment, then said, "If you promise not to tell, I'll whisper the names to you," and there was Marty Robbins, Eddy Arnold, Ray Price, Eddie Dean, Tex Ritter, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, Hal Southern . . Hal Southern! Well that's when I woke up, and I'm sorry that I did, cause . . .
I dreamed I was there in Hillbilly Heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sound.
In 1975, Ronnie Milsap was atop the charts with "(I'd Be) A Legend In My Time".
In 1986, Roseanne Cash was at Number One with "Never Be You".
In 1992, Tracy Lawrence was credited with his first Number One, "Sticks And Stones".