Friday, April 26, 2013

April 26 in Country Music History

In 1975, Billie Jo Spears was atop the charts with "Blanket On The Ground", produced by Larry Butler.

In 1980, Dottie West gave us "A Lesson In Leavin'", and earned a Number One record for her efforts.

In 1986, Anne Murray was at Number One on the charts with "Now and Forever (You and Me)".  

In 1990, Wesley Rose, music executive passed away. 

In 2013, George Jones, known as the Possum, passed away after a week in the hospital.  As best as I can tally, he charted one hundred sixty six records in his storied career, with thirteen of them being Number Ones, another sixty four being Top Tens, and all but eighteen of the rest being Top Forty.  Many of those records are considered to be some of the most legendary recordings of our time.

Though "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is probably his career hit, my favorite is "The Cold Hard Truth", and I also loved "I Can Live Forever", which I think is a great inspirational song.